This boy at Target asked if I would hold his hand because his ex girlfriend just walked in with a new guy, so naturally I felt bad and held his hand while strolling around Target for a bit. Then it donned on me, with no other couple in sight, that was the best damn pick up line ever pulled.
1. You are yours before you are anyone else’s. You don’t owe anyone anything. Set boundaries, set limits, set terms, and stay the fuck away from everyone that doesn’t abide by your rules. Don’t settle for anything less than what you deserve. You deserve the best.
2. Learn to focus on what you have. This is your life and you need to make the best of it. Be crazy. Go to a club. Take a walk. Look people in the eye. Get that extra scoop of ice cream. Introduce yourself to strangers. Make new friends. Don’t obsess over what you don’t have. Happiness is not a person, place, or thing. You choose whether to be happy or not.
3. Don’t make excuses for other people’s actions. We all make our own choices. Some guy hurt you? Your friend betrayed you? Drop them from your life. No questions asked.
4. Drink water every single day. Eat healthy foods as often as you can. Exercise, even if it’s only for fifteen minutes. Get plenty of sleep—get off of Tumblr, turn off the television, comb your hair, brush your teeth, wash your face, be in bed before ten o’clock. Take care of yourself.
5. Be gentle with your feelings. You’re doing the best you can. Be kind to yourself.
6. Talk about your feelings. Don’t keep that shit in. Talk to your mom, talk to your dad, talk to your internet friends, talk to your guidance counselor. Invite your friends over and cry into a bowl of ice cream. You’re a human being with feelings and it’s about damn time you realize that it’s okay not to be okay.
7. You deserve kisses. You deserve hugs. You deserve love. You deserve to be here, just like everyone else.
8. Everything is temporary. Repeat that to yourself. It may be a bad morning, a bad day, a bad week, but it is never a bad life. Everything will be okay.
9. Don’t let your self worth be defined by other’s opinions. Stop caring about what everyone else thinks. You’re a fab ass chick and you can wear what you want, do what you want, say what you want, and anyone that has something to say about you can kiss your ass.
10. Romantisizing things will get you nowhere. It sets you up for disappointment. This is reality. Exercising takes effort, school requires hard work, people might cheat on you, friends might lie to you, and things will get hard and you will feel like shit. Get over it. It’s life.
11. You’re beautiful. Stand in front of the mirror, look yourself in the eye, and say it out loud. “I’m beautiful.” Even if you feel like crap and you’re not wearing make up and you’re in your pajamas. Say it. Even if you have to lie to yourself. Do it every single day. And soon, it won’t feel like a lie anymore. You’ll believe it. And that’s good, because it’s true.”